- 1 red cabbage sliced thinly
- a couple of red onions (well any will do but red is nice), sliced
- two apples (optional), peeled, cored and sliced.
- a sprinkle of brown sugar
- 200 ml dry red wine (fine if it’s a few days after opening)
- a little butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger (powdered is ok or grate some fresh)
Add all the ingredients to a large pan and put on a reasonable heat until bubbling; then simple turn down, shove on a lid and simmer for about an hour until everything is cooked and the caramels come out. Keep a bit of an eye on it, and if it is drying out add a splash more wine. When done, check the seasoning – it often needs a bit of salt.
This dish is great hot or cold.